Data Protection Act 1998 and related legislation:
Information Commissioner’s Office:
- A self-assessment toolkit for businesses which may be of help to you as a business or as a general benchmark for your organisation.
- They provide a wealth of guidance (on Data Protection and the Privacy and Electronic Communication Regulations), advice, videos and information which can be accessed through their website www.ico.org.uk – with a Guidance Index link at the bottom of each page. Their Data Protection Guide is a helpful practical guide with links to other guidance documents in it (that are not always listed in the Guidance Index).
- ‘Responsible for Information’ is a free comprensive e-learning course for small and medium size businesses but may be a source of inspiration if you produce your own in-house training materials.
Charity Finance Group:
- Data Protection guidance for charities: free guidance document
GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATION
- Text of the General Data Protection Regulation is available on the Europa Data Protection Reform EU Website. and in the Official Journal of the European Union.
- National Archives has published a free online Data Protection E-Learning course for small and medium-size businesses.
South West Information Compliance Group
I am a member of the South West Information Compliance Group (SWICG) which is a not-for-profit collaborative group of Data Protection and Freedom of Information Practitioners located in the South West of England. David Collins of North Devon Council is the chairman. Membership is free. If you would like to join our group (free of charge), go to the swicg.org.uk website to register and join up. You can email them at email@example.com.